"I write so that my handful of pebbles, cast into still waters, will create a ripple."

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Keeping it Real this Christmas


One woman's campaign to keep it all together. 

Last night my husband and I attended the Vine Street lighting ceremony in Paso Robles. We strolled hand-in-hand down the twelve or so closed-off blocks lined with Victorian houses. It was a mood night—part romance, part nostalgia.

Non-profits, churches and youth groups handed out popcorn, cotton candy, cider and hot chocolate to thousands of visitors. Churches had living crèches, bands and singers along the route. Scrooge taunted the crowds from the second story of a Victorian, calling out bah-humbugs, with the crowd scoffing their replies. The Grinch was present along with giggling children and their parents. Lights on top of lights. Pure magic!

NOW I feel the Season. The Hallmark marathon I’ve watched the last five nights didn’t hurt, either. Maybe it’s a case of overkill—I heard myself actually debating the cinematic points of “The Christmas Card” today with my sister. She likes Debbie Macomber’s “Trading Christmas” better. Yikes! There was a time when those movies were too saccharine to stand. Now I plant myself in front of the TV at 7:00 every night to catch the new one. But it’s Christmas. Whatchagonnado?

I have to watch them pronto because next week it’s the Battle of the Nutcracker Ballet—each night a different one, and the viewers get to vote on their favorite. Last year I taped part of one. This year I’m going to tape them all so my four-year-old granddaughter and I can watch them when she comes for the holidays.

Thanks to Jennifer’s fabulous green website tips, I’ll be wrapping my gifts in newsprint this year. She’s a military wife with a great moral compass. My gifts are for the most part purchased from local venders I met at craft and art fairs while I was selling my books. (Relax, family, you’re not getting crocheted doilies or acrylic stretch booties.)

Not to boast (well, maybe a little), I bought locally from my writer friends, artists ( a little plug here for a deserving artist,) jewelers and carvers. It feels good to have a personal connection with the creative genius behind my purchase. I even like that my paper shopping bags have a signature on them. I’m breaking out the sewing machine and making a wedding dress for my granddaughter’s new doll. (Santa’s secret is safe because she only reads picture books.)

I just organized a cookie exchange with the caveat that some of them need to be gluten free. That should be fun—plates of goodies I don’t have to bake. I’ll look like Martha Stewart when my kids arrive. “Mom! My gosh, you’ve been busy!”

Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1tsp baking soda
1/2 cup GF chocolate chips

Beat first four ingredients in mixer. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop rounded tablespoons two inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Makes about two dozen.

Two weeks until Christmas. Plenty of time to burn my first batch of fudge. I’m humming carols, vacuuming and dusting spots I only catch when company’s coming. I have a new recipe from Susan Gaddis for easy crockpot oatmeal that I’m going to try out on my health-conscious kids this year, after they spent Thanksgiving mocking our Friday night reward trips to Foster Freeze for hot fudge sundaes. Who would have thought THOSE would ever be no-no’s? I’ve outlived my era!

Now for the annual Christmas tree lot argument with my husband who knows nothing about perfect trees. Then a day of pulling everything down out of the attic, decorating and swearing that NEXT year I’m either hiring it done or throwing half the decorations away. Christmas tends to build until I’m sick of the whole idea and nothing could live up to the hype. I’ve gone this route before and I know the signs. Not going to happen!

Where I used to have to budget my time, now it seems like it’s my energy. But I’m lucky this year. I have a bunch of appointments scheduled for the end of the year. It’s my way of not getting crazy about Christmas and ending up an emotional dishrag. 

This year I’m treating my daughter, niece and their kids to the Christmas show at the Oceano Melodrama and staying home. Seems like an old-folks thing to do, parking myself in front of the fire and living vicariously knowing the grandkids will come home glowing with excitement. And if that doesn’t put me in the Christmas spirit, nothing will. Eggnog, anyone?

How’s it going for you this season? Any thoughts on keeping the spirits bright?

5 comments:

  1. We were able to purchase many of our gifts local as well. Only a small amount of decoration on the front porch this year--it's partly the energy level thing and cold weather. Fruitcake is aging, making candy today and cookies this coming week. Some gifts will include baked goods and boxes of potatoes to those who need help with groceries. Husband gets his fishing license and slippers, maybe a couple other little things. Tried to buy Made in the USA gifts. Wrapping paper and gift bags were made in the USA! Christmas parade tonight in our small town. Keeping Christmas Simple this year and it feels good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a five year old in my house, Christmas is looking great. She has spirit and delight in all that's going on. Upset that there were no gifts under the tree(bought as a cut-your-own), Jess went to the dollar store and wrapped up little gifts for her to open, one each day. She helped decorate indoors and out, makes her favorite dog wear the reindeer antlers, and is primed to make the gingerbread house today. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My least favorite memories are of years that I sort of lost it--too much shopping, too much money spent, too much sugar, just too much.

    I love the feeling of control I get by simply saying,"NO!YOU DIRTY ROTTEN TEMPTATION! N...O!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Christmas shin-dig in town sounded like something right out of one of those Hallmark movies you like so much! I remember the Christmas card one I think, or maybe it was the Christmas Letter? Was it the one where the reporter finds the letter in a baggie floating in the water from the plane crash? You know the one I'm talking about? I haven't seen the Trading Christmas one yet. I'm catching the old ones on Netflix because we gave up cable!!
    Thank you so much for the mention, and I am sooo proud of you for buying from local artist/writers and wrapping with newspaper. :)
    EGGNOG will put you in the season when nothing else will, huh? :)
    I'm right there with you on that! Love me some eggnog!
    The cookie exchange sounds like fun! I've never been to one of those.....And those pb cookies sound too yummy. Let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have left a wrong impression if I said I "like" the Hallmark movies. Most of them are too cute and simple, but I like to watch them at Christmas time. My favorite was one I saw in the early '70s, about cowboys in a bunkhouse. One rode miles through a storm to court a girl at a dance and the other oldtimer wanted him to bring back a piece of candy. It was so wonderful. I keep hoping for another one like that!

    ReplyDelete