"I write so that my handful of pebbles, cast into still waters, will create a ripple."

Monday, January 14, 2013

15 Lessons about Playing Solitaire


Every writer I know plays Solitaire while they’re waiting for inspiration or coming down from the natural high of being “in the zone.” It occurred to me this morning that most of life’s lessons apply to Solitaire.

  1. Sit up straight, don’t slump.
  2. Don’t assume anything.
  3. Luck is passive. Winning because of our skill feels better.
  4. Don’t be greedy. Nobody wins every hand.  
  5. Be careful what you ask for. The hand that lets you use every single card in the initial lay-out will leave you out of options.
  6. Trust your instincts, but heighten them by living in the moment
  7. Don’t get pompous. More great hands are lost for lack of a low face card than a king.
  8. The round may start out easy, but every game has its rough patches.
  9. Forgive yourself for being an idiot.
  10. Sometimes you get a second chance.
  11. God doesn’t answer every prayer.
  12. The game isn’t over until it’s over.
  13. When you don’t feel elation over winning, it’s not a game anymore.
  14. It’s addiction if you have to hide it from others.  
  15. Try other games in the list  
I'm sure this list could go on forever. How about you? Do you have one to add? 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Anne, I've never been able to learn how to play Solitaire. No puzzle piece inside my brain will fit the complementary piece of lessons I've taken from friends. Still, the metaphor you employ to carry several valuable messages rings true to my heart. Your ability to communicate such messages in the form of a story (stories being their own best teachers) is but one more quality that makes you a talented author. Much enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned from watching my mother pass her pregnancies with a worn deck of cards. Come to think of it, her lessons took, as well. Thanks for the kind encouragement.

    ReplyDelete