"I write so that my handful of pebbles, cast into still waters, will create a ripple."

Sunday, September 9, 2012

SAYINGS THAT GOT LOST ALONG THE WAY


  
 Remember these? If you're over fifty you probably will. My list definitely reflects my Catholic upbringing. I'm surprised how many of these formed my outlook about life, and how many of them I used on my own children.  

My chores are finished. Anything else before I go play?
Shame on me!
It’s a personal point of honor.
That goes against my grain.
I saved up for it.
I fudged. (I goofed.)
Thanks, but I’ll wait my turn.
It’s not urgent (I can wait.)
This too will pass. 
Offer it up. 
You're a saint for doing that. (My Catholic mother was big on these.) 
Let’s take turns.
We’ll have to make do.
This is more than my fair share.
Let’s pray on it.
In due time.
I’m sorry, Sir  (Ma’am!)
Take it, you deserve it more.
A stitch in time saves nine.
Hand-me-downs
Let’s tidy up before Dad comes home.
Cut it down and make it over (reuse someone else's clothing.) 
Clean your plate. Kids in China are starving
If you’re not here at dinnertime, you don’t eat.
Sorry, we don’t own a television.
If you’re hungry, eat a slice of bread.
If you’re not tired you haven’t worked hard enough.
I can’t—my folks would kill me.
Time to hit the deck.
Time to hit the hay.
Rise and shine.
Live and let live.
I’ll sacrifice for the greater good.
It’s none of my business so I won’t ask!
I really shouldn’t (so I won’t!)
Here—you have it.
It’s good enough for me.
Keep a dime between your knees.
Act like a lady
Pretty is as pretty does.
Nice girls don't
Treat your date like she’s your sister.
He (she) has cooties.
Gosh, dog-gone-it, golly, phooey.
Jiminy Christmas.
Careful, these have to last.
School shoes, play shoes & dress shoes
Play clothes for after school
Crackers and milk for supper.
Forgive and forget.
Because you’re not old enough.
Because I said so.
Not now (it’s almost suppertime.)
Wait until your father gets home.
I have to set an example.
There'll be plenty of time for that when you grow up.
I broke it so I’ll replace it.
I’ve done worse (you’re forgiven.)
I sewed it myself.

How about your favorite sayings. Any I've forgotten? 


2 comments:

  1. If Jimmy/Janey jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?

    You're cruisen for a bruisen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. That's hilarious. My mom never used those, but I'll bet yours did.

    ReplyDelete