"I write so that my handful of pebbles, cast into still waters, will create a ripple."

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Room of Her Own



Does your secret heart yearn for a place that is yours alone? Where no one will intrude? My dream writing room promises to eliminate all my excuses.


As I write this a carpenter is putting the finishing touches on a 10x12’ writing room in my backyard, complete with a set of solid wood, double pane French doors that I found twenty years ago at a garage sale for $30, and a vintage leaded glass window I found at Edna Valley Antiques.
This little room, like Julia Cameron advocates in The Artist’s Way is my way of reclaiming creativity after a few years devoting too much energy to caretaking my mother-in-law and newly-retired husband. Everything in my little room will resonate creative expression because I’m a crazy woman seemingly incapable of compromise.
My husband thinks the white beadboard will make the room seem smaller, but I’ve carried a picture of wainscoting for so long that I’m intractable. Painted that very light green that changes to peach when the setting sun infuses shadows in the room, this room will ooze creative charm. The wicker furniture will be glossy white with airy cushions. A tole-painted makeup mirror from the forties will have a place of honor, its relic lightbulbs left unwired since the only lighting will be a battery powered, faux mariner’s lantern hanging from the open beam ceiling. 
Here it is the day I finished
We began calling it my writing room when it wasn’t a room at all, but a storage shed built by a college construction class and delivered on a flatbed trailer. It was a disappointment from the first day, its lovely eaves chopped off for some indiscernible reason so that it set like a forlorn outhouse in the pasture, slowly rotting from moisture until I asserted my claim.
My husband and I rolled the shed into the back yard on steel pipes, then jacked it onto concrete pyramid blocks. We built a free-standing deck to meet the requirements for a non-coded room and rebuilt the roof with real eaves. I hired a carpenter who shares my vision for small rooms and used lumber.
When Eric is finished I’ll paint it. I’ll seal the deck and rails. They’re old-growth redwood from a small barn we tore down years ago. I’ll polish the vintage brass hinges and doorknobs I've been collecting with this project in mind. I’ll install antique glass pulls on the leaded glass window and shine the crank-open window—the only thing in the room that is new—an Anderson crank window with a view of the creek.
Granddaughter Ava and Annie the hen
Every day is a delight, listening to the hum of the Skil saw, the splat, splat of the nail gun. The process makes my heart happy—not the bursting happy when something surprises, but the savoring joy that occurs when life is good.
 My writing room has become a metaphor for taking control of the things in my life that I couldn’t change even if I wanted to. It’s become a playhouse for me in middle-age, a replacement for the one built for my three sisters and me by our father so that—ironically—we could practice our homemaking skills. (Now we’re burned out and we wonder why we didn’t spend our childhoods riding horses or something.)  
Unlike previous projects there's no rush to completion. (see note)  The process is a journey, not a destination. Paying for it out of my writing income is part of my agreement with myself. Staying true to my vision is giving me a room of my own.
 Truth time. I'm such a liar! I wrote this last year and the act of writing it made me realize how anxious I was to finish it. I stayed up nights sanding and priming. I'm happy to say the room has already seen a novel born within its walls. Stay tuned for the particulars.
 My advice is to do what you have to do. Claim the bathtub, climb a tree, slide into Starbucks, but find a place of your own. In high school, with a family of nine, I used to climb into the front seat of the car bundled in a blanket and read. I didn't do this a lot, but the barn was too drafty and sometimes just I needed a place of my own.


So where's your secret place? Tell us where you go to create. 

.

14 comments:

  1. I am making a writing room from a room where we throw the stuff we don't know what to do with (donation of useful, in-good-condition stuff coming up). The room gets a lot of light and is warm. I've hung a mirror and also a painting from my grandmother's home. She would have liked the idea of my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's perfect! Nobody needs a junk room. Isn't it strange how raising our self-image as a writer requires us to work in a better environment? I hope you post a photo of your new digs on FB when you're finished. Crow to the world that you count!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I love the little house as I stood within its walls several months ago. I hope you call the trailerbed folks back and truck it to Oregon with you!
    Arletta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, What a great little writing house! And thanks for the reminder to claim our place and our creativity. I write from a small office with a grand view of the highest peaks of the Rockies rising over the small town I live and love. My desk was crafted by my sculptor husband, the love of my live, and his spirit cheers me on as I write. What a gift it is to give ourselves the time and space we need!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing house sounds oh so perfect. I too claimed a room that served no other purpose. Once it held a huge old piano where I taught little fingers to play. A sewing machine in one corner has been moved to the guest bedroom in which my overflow of books line shelves. Awards hang on the walls, from the very first one so long ago, a first place in a Western novel contest, to the WILLA Literary finalist award. A sign on the door can be flipped: Writer at Work or Coffee Break time. It's a bit messy, stacked with all my projects. I can see out a sliding glass door onto a patio on one side and behind me windows reveal the Ozark National Forest tucked against our back yard. Deer often stroll through the grass out back. It's quiet and peaceful, the perfect place to write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place to write. It looks so cozy and I love the garden surrounding it. Where are you located?
    I write at the Newport Beach library in southern California and try to get their early as I have my favorite desk there. I can also bring coffee inside, and my lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how dreamy. And a novel already born within its walls. How inspiring! It's so darn cozy and cute! I was wondering Anne, if you'd be interested in guest posting for me in the future. Just a short post 500-600 words about what it was like growing up in a house of nine and how "green" your childhood was simply because you were from a famiy of nine. My mom was too. There were 7 kids, and many of her stories sound an awful lot like yours. I always loved listening to them, just as I always enjoy reading about yours when you drift back in time, and I think my "green" readers would like to hear one of your stories. I've only done two other guest posts. Usually they send me the write up in an email, I copy and paste it in. If you want to add any pictures, just send them as an attachment. Write a paragraph/few lines intro about yourself and I'll put it out. A few days before it goes out, I'll send a heads-up that I have a guestposter. It should send some traffic to your page since I'll add in links to you. Just let me know. My email is on my about page.
    Until then, I'll be reading your posts that you write in your precious little house/room... :)
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I write a comment and try to publish and it doesn't get on your blog. I'm being censored!

    Robert Natiuk

    ReplyDelete
  9. anne, i have a room, cold and wireless..meaning no plug in for laptop..so it mimics a sewing room and closet at present. no sewing machine..i must grow a sense of " a Room of One's Own"
    you must be feeling a sense of true accomplishment in finally getting that jewel-room for yourself.
    i have not graduated to creative selfishness yet..but i am striving for it..i'll keep this post bookmarked to keep on track..i would be a better writer if i wasn't 2-3 feet from my husband as i write..at least for the poetry or memoir..the mind wanders and concentration flops.
    i can type it in that room in the better weather..thanks for your lovely writing..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nadine, Paint it. Line the wall with corkboard. Hang things you love. (I have a sprig of pepper tree from my grandmother's homestead.) Invest in a floor heater and a fluffy rug. Hang a sheet or buy something on Craig'slist and covert it to hide your hubby. He's not the problem, but too much shared energy might be.

    Let me know what you do. Writing me was the first step. Blessings on your journey. (My memoir, Ordinary Aphrodite would change your life. It's all about "graduating to creative selfishness" in the best sense of the phrase. I love that sentence!)Give it to yourself for Valentine's Day. Drop me a note and we'll figure out how to get it to you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello again, my room awaits as we cannot afford to heat any extra space, so by spring i will finish the decor..and hopefully find a better chair for the desk..
      by habit i give and provide as i always have since childhood..it took me years to learn to sit--to rest..my neighbors swear that i don't sleep..i do.and now i take time to write, and read.
      i'll keep you posted on the unfolding moi.

      Delete
    2. PS:would you please contact me about your book, your words are very well felt and chosen.

      nadinesellers at gmail....com
      or through my literary site
      http://lastknownnest.blogspot.com

      Delete
  11. Envy. Pure envy. This is the third time I've read this post. Seeking inspiration, perhaps? My writing room is a shabby recliner.
    I love your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks. (May I call you belly?) We worked hard for that room. Can you hang a message board in a corner? Then slowly start taking over the room. Do you have a dining room that seldom gets used? Value yourself as a writer and the world will take the hint.

    ReplyDelete