"I write so that my handful of pebbles, cast into still waters, will create a ripple."

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Guide to More Mediocre Housekeeping in Only Seven Days


I used to say I HATED housekeeping, but that was before “Hoarders.”Now I’m careful lest people think I sleep on piles of abandoned clothes and eat on a TV tray because my table’s buried under domestic flotsam.

So what's a girl to do? If I cleaned like the commercials imply I should, I'd never have time to write a word. Fortunately, turns out, everything I needed to know I learned in kindergarten. Remember "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush"? A domestic primer for young ladies.

Here it is, cut and pasted from Wikipedia. 


Here we go round the mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush.
Here we go 'round the mulberry bush,
So early in the morning.

These are the chores we'll do this week,
Do this week,
Do this week.
These are the chores we'll do this week,
So early every morning.

This is the way we wash our clothes,
Wash our clothes,
Wash our clothes.
This is the way we wash our clothes,
So early Monday morning.

This is the way we iron our clothes,
Iron our clothes,
Iron our clothes.
This is the way we iron our clothes,
So early Tuesday morning.

This is the way we scrub the floor,
Scrub the floor,
Scrub the floor.
This is the way we scrub the floor,
So early Wednesday morning.

This is the way we mend our clothes,
Mend our clothes,
Mend our clothes.
This is the way we mend our clothes,
So early Thursday morning.

This is the way we sweep the floor,
Sweep the floor,
Sweep the floor.
This is the way we sweep the floor,
So early Friday morning.

This is the way we bake our bread,
Bake our bread,
Bake our bread.
This is the way we bake our bread,
So early Saturday morning.

This is the way we get dressed up,
Get dressed up,
Get dressed up.
This is the way we get dressed up,
So early Sunday morning.

Here we go 'round the mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush,
The mulberry bush.
Here we go 'round the mulberry bush,
So early in the morning.


I paid attention at five years old. On Monday I wash clothes. And strip beds and remake beds. To save time, I pile a set of clean sheets on the bed and my husband has to make it up before he can go to sleep. Check! Job done.


Tuesday—who irons? I pile all the clean clothes on the sofa and fold them while I watch “What Not to Wear.” From the time my kids were five their pile got dumped on their dressers for them to put away any way they wanted. Check!


Wednesday—“Scrub” conjures an image of a wooden bucket and a large sloppy brush. I run my steam mop machine filled with distilled water over my tile floor and call it good. “Mulberry Bush” doesn’t say anything about vacuuming, but I run the vacuum around the wood floors and area rugs once a week whether they need it or not! Check!


Darning? I haven’t seen a hand-knit wool sock since my grandmother got liberated in the ’50s. Thursdays are for shopping. Couple of hours at TJ Maxx then I’m off to the grocery store with a fistful of coupons. Check!


Friday—hey, I’m ahead of the game. I swept on Wednesday so today I wash out the bathtub and sink while I wait for my Regenerist thermal treatment to work. Mother says a good housekeeper keeps her bathroom trash receptacles empty. Check!


Sometimes on Saturday I bake a loaf of gluten-free bread or cornbread with brown rice flour for binding. Cake. Cookies. Or even better, a trip to Apple Hill to buy a pie. Check!


Tradition is important, but I mix it up. If my husband isn’t home, I meet friends for brunch. Or drop by someone’s house on the way home from church. If he is, we go out to supper or take a motorcycle run out to Parkfield for buffalo burgers and beer. Long as we're home in time for my show. HBO has a great line-up that night.


 So that’s my week. You know how the military has a “need-to-know” rule? Well, I have a "need-to-clean" rule. Nothing but the basics, Ma’am. I’ve learned to walk around with a wet recycled wash cloth and hit the woodwork. Or a spritz of orange oil for dusting, or alcohol and water for the windows--and call it good. 

So today I get to write. 


Except that it’s Wednesday, and I have to run the forklift while Steve cuts a branch over the driveway. Or he needs help cutting and loading a chord of red oak for delivery to the widow who depends on us every year. Or the horses in the pasture next door get out and I have to run around the house and push them back into the corral. 

Let's see—tomorrow Steve’s cutting a new driveway for a neighbor. I’ll probably have to run to town for tractor parts in our ancient 1-ton Dodge diesel with the six-speed and the 25-pound clutch. I’ll be a wreck by the time I get home again.

You may think I'm joking, but we really did all of these things this past week. I write at night while he watches TV. It’s my compromise to a crazy hyphenated life. I haul my laptop into my writing room and work until midnight. I’d work inside, but it's sooo cozy when the fire's in the woodstove and the dogs and Steve are dozing in the living room, that I tend to get co-opted into the “Family Plan.”  


Like they say: Moderation in all things. Nobody’s going to eat off my kitchen floor, but that’s what plates are for.


How about you? Got any time-saving ideas to share?

10 comments:

  1. And when do you remove the stains you got from brushing against the mulberry bush?

    Good husband that I am, I iron my shirts on Sundays while watching DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. Except they haven't appeared for two weeks in a row and I'm running out of pressed shirts. Perhaps Goodwill has some neat ones. So I'll go there.

    Robert the Rabbit

    I sometimes wash the dishes while watching FOX news. Both of us help to remove stains from life's activities.

    Writing? Fortunately I have my writer's den I can retreat too--after I navigate my way to my writer's chair--just a pile of stuff in the way because if any stuff has no place anywhere else in the house, it retreats to "my office." Sometimes the garage, but it's too cold there this time of year.

    So I'll continue mulling over solutions to the cleaning/organizing/uncluttering problem while milling around the mulberry bush--which I'm surprised you as such a creative writer would even have time for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still have difficulty posting comments properly on this blog. Tried "anonymous." "Robert the Rabbit" got misplaced. Sounds like life....

    From the above Robert the Rabbit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, there's nothing in the ditty about washing dishes. But I sing while I work. I'm putting power behind my words and putting together a load for the thrift shop. It's going to include books--several books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who no matter where she washes her hands, automatically swishes the water around in the bowl to clean it. I have a dishwasher now, but once upon a time, I got some good "writer" thinking done while washing dishes. Ditto cleaning house and driving. I still drive. :-)Cute idea, using the Mulberry bush.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about handwashing dishes. It's magical. And long distance trips. I have a writer friend who loves to head his car off into the desert at night, just to think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuckle, chuckle and still chuckling! Can I borrow your brain for just a day? Your writing is so flavorful...zings my funny bone! Lordy, how many times did I run around the Hibiscus bush as a kid. We did not have a mulberry bush, just a huge tree that stained the heck out of clothes, 'cause us kids sat in that tree and gobbled down mulberries. We became more careful, though, when our mother put us in charge of washing and ironing. Thanks, Anne, for bringing me back to some fun memories. As for tips for chores, a phrase came to mind: "Before I become enlightened, chop wood & carry water. After I become enlightened, chop wood A& carry water." When Mother-sitting, this mantra helped me to stay steady. With my newly-found love of writing, this mantra still niggles my brain to just get the basics done. The only thing new is that I swing my big cat, Max, by his tail, across the kitchen floor daily. A great dustmop and he loves it! The mopping gets done weekly while listening to music--exercise for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dodex--LOVE IT!! Thanks for dropping in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh! So much to do. I like your organization. Your house sounds so clean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cleaning corner tubs might be a hassle at first but when you're already done, you'll see that doing it in the first place is worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bath tubs are my worst cleaning issue. Now that I have a Jacuzzi I have to bubble 2 cups of bleach for 10 minutes, then fill to the top of the jets twice with cold water and run the jets for 10 minutes each. I miss the simple tub.

    ReplyDelete