"I write so that my handful of pebbles, cast into still waters, will create a ripple."

Friday, October 7, 2011

Reinventing Myself (Again)


I now understand why agents can't represent a book they don't absolutely love. a year ago, I was convinced that my memoir, ORDINARY APHRODITE, was just an egotistical rant. I was embarrassed about my disclosures and I lost faith in my ability to discern between writing for the Universal "us" and just letting it all hang out. But something changed. G___, a member of my writer's group, approached me at a meeting and told me that the book had saved her marriage. She was the eighth woman to tell me the same thing, and I realized I needed to honor my vision.

Something I've noticed about aging--we spend a lot of time worrying about the body, but not so much on the rest. My nerves are affected by mysterious tidal surges, or the waxing and waning of the moon--some inexplicable natural force I can't pinpoint. I work myself up, only to let myself sink into complacency (at best) or lethargy (at worst.) Keeping myself on an "even keel" involves a mind-over-matter approach with thyroid supplements, exercise and good-old positive thinking.

Part of my strategy involves being proactive. Good Stuff In, Good Stuff Out. I attended the Central Coast Writers' Conference and heard Anne Allen speak about social marketing. And the moon and the tides aligned.

With a rebirth of confidence, I started talking up my book. I put a copy in my purse and I've sold it several times now. I've mailed out copies to women I met through social blogging sites I comment on. Sold a copy to the clerk at the drugstore, and another to a woman in Coco's while I was waiting to meet my sister and mother for lunch. More to women at the Pioneer Day tea I attended. While I was there, I jotted down e-mail addresses from women I had lost touch with.

Suddenly everything is fun again. I can see possibility instead of excuses. It's a new day! I'm getting more postcards printed, this time with info about OA's availability on Kindle and Nook. I put several display copies in waiting rooms--my doctors, my tire shop, my beauty shop, with contact info printed inside.

The Holiday Craft Fair Season is upon us. I'm having Staples print a poster of the breath-taking comments that readers made about OA. My tire store gave me a great display holder and I'll use that when I sell at the Octoberfest in Los Osos and the Twin Cities Craft Fair at the end of October. I'm loaded for bear, Baby!

My goals are to 1) increase my contact list for my next release and to 2) decrease my stack of book boxes in the garage by ten by Christmas. That's a reasonable goal. I'm building my network in hopes of finding a publisher for my next book, but I'm also having fun with the one that's already out.

Okay, so I sound like Queen of the Boast. Trouble is, I haven't found any way to energize myself without the collateral damage spilling out onto the world. Life is good. My unleashed energy is having unexpected results in (ahem) other areas of my life, as well. After all, self-esteem is self-esteem. When is life ever better than when we are living our passion, our life's purpose? I tend to go off on rampages when I believe in something. And guess what--this time I believe in ME!     

How about you? Is your  confidence rebounding (or lagging)? What are you doing about it?

6 comments:

  1. My confidence in my own ability to write a story worth reading has been lagging into near invisible territory for at least half a year. But my excitement regarding my friends' writing successes has filled me up with joy. So I accept the gift of satisfaction and try as best I can to ignore the nagging sense that life grows short. I suppose it's my way of "counting my blessings" whenever and wherever they arrive. Oh, and Anne, I read OA. I not once thought of it as a "women's book." Our individual minds are like scattered puzzle pieces. Our humanity is recognized only when the pieces come together to form a pretty image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Labels are limiting--for books as for writers. "worth reading" is in your mind. "A woman's book" is a label the publishing industry gives sensitive books by women authors. I agree with you--OA counts among its fans many men whose wives or girlfriends have read it and placed it in their hands. I think of it as a starting place for discussion--for sisters, mothers and daughters, men and their women. Now please write something for the world, Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, my confidence as a writer and marketer, is a roller coaster ride. I released my memoir, Twenty-Eight Snow Angels: A Widow's Story of Love, Loss and Renewal, in August. Like most authors, the energy soared when I received the copies from my publisher. As the stress of promoting the book set in, I doubted myself and the power of my story. The positive feedback from readers, both men and women, made me realize the universal appeal of the book. Your blog comments, examples of marketing strategies and suggestions inspired me to focus in the positive direction. I can feel the passion returning. Writers need to believe in their readers and the message of their story. After all the hard work of writing our books, we need to embrace the experience of marketing and sharing our story with as many readers as we can. Thanks for all the great suggestions and keep being the Queen of Boast if it helps others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Diane. I've never read anything about this topic, so I thought I'd introduce it. I wonder what happens when an author's book is brought out by New York, sold for a season and remaindered in six months. I don't think the author can reach her stride before it's all over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray, Anne. Reinventing yourself time and again takes courage and tenacity. The people around you might not understand and I find want to keep you as they know you--until they see the results and take up the banner. You are leading the way with this topic!

    ReplyDelete